Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Walking Dead - Salute figure

At Salute this year, Mantic games were giving away a free walker.

I have not started painting the main set of walkers, nor any of the walkers in the booster sets, though I have painted the five in the Prelude to Woodbury solo game set. They were painted using the same techniques set out in October 2015.

Now as this is an additional figure, I decided I would try an experiment. On the blog of Opponent Theory there is an excellent tutorial on painting Walking Dead zombies (link here, normal disclaimers apply).

Now, I suspect that Army Painter Leather Brown is a vastly different colour to Vallejo Leather Brown (or the colour balance on our cameras is vastly different). However I followed through using the colours I have.

First the figure was given a quick scrub and any mould lines removed. The base was covered with PVA and Woodland Scenics cinder extra fine ballast and two pieces of Evergreen 6.3mm plastic strip were added. Sometime in the future I want to print out a tiny copy of the Salute 2017 poster and add it to the base on one of the pieces of strip.

Once that was dry, the figure was undercoated with Citadel Chaos Black spray.

The flesh was painted with Vallejo Leather Brown. The Hair was Army painter Skeleton Bone. Skirt Vallejo Grey Blue. The shirt was Citadel Mephiston Red and the shoes Humbrol 246 grey blue.

Skeleton Bone was used to lighten each of the colours and applied to the highlight points (except the hair). This was repeated for each colour with a higher proportion of Skeleton Bone each time.

Wounds were painted with Citadel Mechrite Red.

The shirt was washed with Citadel Baal Red wash then shaded with Army Painter Red Tone. The skirt was shaded with Citadel Drakenhof Nightshade, as were the shoes. The hair was shaded with Citadel Seriphim Sepia (which has a more orangey colour than Citadel Agrax Earthshade but not as orangey as the original Citadel Flesh wash).

The flesh was shaded with Citadel Agrax Earthshade.

Blood stains were Citadel Baal Red.

A final highlight was dry brushed on the hair with Citadel Terminatus Stone and another shade wash with the Seraphim Sepia.




I think I like this colour scheme better than the previous one. I will probably use something similar when I finally start on the other walkers.